Monday, March 22, 2010

The Media's Influence



Newsweek published this article in January of 2009. I think it is a great article addressing Somalis in Lewiston because it describes the influx in the population as having a positive impact on the state’s energy, economy, and diversity. I thought this was an important article to address because most references to the Somali immigrant population in Maine have cited only the negative impacts of their arrival.
While I was researching for my post I stumbled upon a Wikipedia article on the “Somali and Bantu migration in Maine.” This too had a negative outlook on the impacts of the new populations particularly concerning the welfare system (however, I don’t know how accurate this information is). I found it odd that Wikipedia had an entry on this subject.


Most of the stories and headlines dedicated to the topic of Somali immigration to Maine have negative undertones. Either the articles cite resources consumed by the new Somali residents (such as welfare and housing) or the stories describe discrimination and prejudice Mainers have displayed. Two of the most publicized news stories concerning this social issue in Maine were the Lewiston mayor’s letter blaming Somali immigrants for the town’s economic problems and the vandalization of a Mosque with a severed pig’s head which was meant as a prank but fueled racial tension. Both events were heavily reported on and are reoccurring as I research this topic. The vandal in the pig’s head prank later committed suicide which further added to the local controversy. A more recent story consists of listing violent attacks on whites by Somali youth. I found an entire article listing dates, times, and locations of attacks last summer. The article failed torecognize the long list of hate crimes committed by whites on Somali immigrants in the past year. It seems as though each negative news story surrounding this social issue takes a “side” and vilinzes the other party.
However, more recently, reporters have begun to take a positive stance on Somali immigration in Maine. This has lessened some of the public tension surrounding the perceived effects of this new population. Organizations and policies have also been formulated to aid Somali residents. The Center for Preventing Hate in Lewiston has received a three year $500,000 grant to prevent immigration bias and promote well-being among the Somali community in Maine cities. Furthermore, the establishment of Somali-operated businesses has brought a new economic force to Lewiston. The Lewiston community has become much more peacefully integrates in more recent years and community events have bridged some of the gaps between the cultures. I think the more positive reporting this social issue receives, the more the people of Maine will embrace their new neighbors and accept their culture.

6 comments:

  1. I find it very interesting how we need the media to express our differences in a positive way for us to respond in a positive way and vise versa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a very important point Tonya. I think that many times we think we are deciding things for ourselves but really we are deciding things in a way that has already been set up for us by many thing, (family, religion), but especially the media. Not many of us can live up to the media's portrayal but lots of us still try. How sad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were so many good points made here. I was out at a local bar a few nights ago and I mentioned to a person I was with that it smelled a little bit like a gym locker in there. She said to me, "You didn't grow up in Portland did you? That's how the Somalians smell..." I was so shocked that I just walked out of the bar... how are people so ignorant

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like everyone else said, I also agree you made some good points. Whenver I heard about the Somali population in Lewiston I always heard negative stories, negative stories I think a lot of people have heard. I feel like the article was really important for people to read, important because people do need to know the positive impacts that the Somali population has on the states energy, economy, and diversity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting points. Jare I know what you're talking about....that kind of ignorant and outspoken prejudice angers me as well. To be quite honest I have heard that if there is indeed an odor coming from a person of color it is oftentimes from skincare and haircare products. People with coarse hair tend to use products that soften it and those products are heavy with chemicals...that dont necessarily smell all that great. I have also heard that people of color tend to have drier skin so they use a combination of oils and lotions to alleviate that condition. These products sometimes dont smell that great either. Regardless this kind of attitude is oppressive and stigmatizes the individual/entire population.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for posting someone's positive article. I agree that much of what the media reports on the Somali population is negative. I remember when the first influx of refugees moved to Lewiston. I wasn't even aware of, at that time, why they were moving there, only that "they were causing violence related problems" because that's all the media gave me. I think the article posted here was important because some people just aren't going to appreciate the cultural value the Somali population adds ( I attended a Somali bridal shower this past weekend and it was so culturally rich), some people just need to be given the straight facts on how "other" can benefit a little town. The article focused a lot on economic issues which is importants to people even if they don't agree with say the different religion, they can at least attribute the population with something positive for the town.

    ReplyDelete